Saturday 24 November 2012

Your picks

Thanks everyone for putting forward your suggestions for our next read.  Here are our picks, and at the bottom of the post is the poll.  You have 3 votes, for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice and we'll read the top 3.  Want to know more about the choices...?  Read on!

@uragraymalkin has put forward 'The Devil All the Time' by Donald Ray Pollock. "Hillbilly grand guignol that raised comparisons to Jim Thompson and Flannery O'Connor. And it's a first novel. Why wouldn't you read it?"

@timdifford has chosen 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. I've heard this described as the 'book du jour'. Tim's reason for picking "I’ve just read it so I’ve got a decent chance of having something to discuss when the time comes".

Another bookclubber who'd like to make things a little easier is @iamjuliagreen, who has chosen 'A Perfectly Good Man' by Patrick Gale. "It is my next 'real life' book club read & it'd be nice to concentrate on on 1 book at a time for once." Can't argue with that!


@toykojazzpanda has picked '11/12/63' by Stephen King and said "the best book I read this year, kept me twitching in my pants to the end, gripping, absorbing."


@girlonatrain has recommended the Costa listed 'The Heart Broke In' by James Meek. "A Big sprawling epic morality tale". Loved his "People's Act Of Love".


@dartogreen has recommended 'The Invisible Man' by Ralph Ellison "an older book but one that some people may not have read - I'm into the American 50s fiction idea"


'It's Lovely To Be Here - The Touring Diaries of a Scottish Gent' by James Yorkston has been recommended for us by @idiotjohnson; "'Hugely enjoyable & full of poetic humour and honesty.' That quote is from the blurb. I've not read it myself but I believe it's great."


@sharonmcg1971 has chosen 'Death & the Devil' by Frank Schätzing: "It's a Mediaeval German Murder Mystery. They had me at mediaeval tbh. And it was on special offer..."

@Beviw has recommended the Perks of a Wallflower. About the book: "It takes the form of a series of letters written by an adolescent boy anonymously to a friend. It is about growing up and the things others have gone through but also about processing his own difficult experiences which become clear."


And finally, 'the Given Day' by Dennis Lehane is my pick. "Lehane wrote Shutter Island, Mystic River and Gone Baby, Gone. I've seen the films, never read the books. This is another one of his acclaimed novels, described as a sprawling American Epic"

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment